I was thinking about this goal on my Life List. It’s so vague. What qualifies as becoming healthier and fitter? Losing weight, maybe, eating right, exercising. All the obvious things. But I pretty much do those already. The BFG and I love to cook, and we cook very healthy meals (aside from the occasional summertime favorite of cheeseburgers on the grill and tater tots – mmmmm). I don’t work out everyday, but I do MOVE everyday; and if I don’t fit in workouts, I will do things like walking to my destination instead of taking the subway. And although I’d like to drop a couple pounds before the wedding… I’m actually pretty happy with my weight and at a healthy weight for my height.
So I think I need to create goals within this goal in order to say it’s accomplished. Although I think this is something I have to maintain my whole life, I want to figure out a way to say – hey, look, I did it. So here is what I feel like I need to do in order to cross this one off.
- Ok. This is hard to admit. (Yay for anonymity!) I am/was a smoker. I say am/was because I haven’t smoked in fourteen days. But this is the hard part. I’ve quit before, but it’s the third week where it starts to get tough, and I usually cave. So – obviously – step one of this whole health thing is to QUIT SMOKING FOR GOOD! If I can make it two months, I think I will have done it. I’ve never made it longer than three weeks. So wish me luck. If I can get through the next seven days or so, I think I’ll be home free.
- I am very happy with my legs. Living in New York does wonders for your legs and ass, because you walk everywhere. Even if you take the subway, that’s at least two (usually more) sets of stairs you’re climbing. But I hate my arms. They’re not ginormous, but I feel very self-conscious about them. So I want to tone the crap out of my arms. I’m not saying I need Michelle Obama arms – although that would be great – but I do want some visible definition.
- I want to be able to run a mile without stopping. (Which is also another Life List goal – #51.)
- Get into the habit of taking my vitamins EVERY DAY. I am pretty sporadic about taking my vitamins, so I want to make it a habit.
- Eat breakfast everyday. Again, also something I’m pretty bad at. Partly – I just don’t like breakfast food. But also eating as soon as I get up makes me feel icky. But breakfast gets your metabolism going, and that’s an important part of being an overall healthy person, so it’s a habit I need to get into.
These are things I want to accomplish and MAINTAIN, and then I’ll consider myself a “healthier/fit” person, and will cross this one off. (But I will say, if I get back into a bad pattern one day down the road, this one could become uncrossed, and I’ll have to start work again to cross it off once more.)
What makes you feel healthy?